Thursday, February 15, 2007

The denouement

I realized after getting a question from my friend and fellow blogger Glen Farrelly that I hadn't posted an update on what's happening with Citronnade. Here's a picture of her, post-tip-over, that I took in Blankenberge in Belgium, for those of you who haven't seen her yet.

I decided not to buy her and ship her back, largely because I didn't think the damage from the tip-over in Brugge would be sufficient for that to be necessary and partly because the duty on her would have been prohibitive. Because the Honda CBF600 isn't sold in North America, the duty for importing her to Canada could have run into a thousand or possibly two thousand dollars. Add to that the cost of purchasing her and the shipping and the total would be more than the worth of the bike.

I'd expected to get an estimate on the repair bill from Frederick at Business-bikes.com by Tuesday and haven't heard a peep yet. He has a $1,500 deposit and it's in his interest to try to keep as much of that as possible, so I don't expect to get much if any of it back.

I'm in Montreal tonight on my way to Boston for the weekend; I promised some friends I'd join them on a (car) road trip. They're heading to BosCon, Boston's annual science fiction convention, where they'll be throwing a bid party trying to get people to vote for Montreal as the site for the 2009 World Science Fiction Convention. I plan to visit Manni Wood, an old friend I used to work with at Southam New Media. He and Andy Walker (of Cyberwalker fame) did the programming for the original Canada.com site back in 1996. Now he's working near Cambridge and I hardly ever get to see him, so joining this road trip was perfect for a get-together.

But I will post an update on Citronnade's repairs once I get the estimate.

No comments: