Thursday, October 4, 2007

Dog-tired in Kentucky

Have only a few minutes of borrowed time on a clandestine WiFi connection tonight, so this is going to be brief.

I wanted to do the Dragon again today, but Marc talked me into trying the Cherahola Skyway instead, and I'm glad he did. It was AWESOME! Not especially challenging, but just challenging enough to be fun and because much of it is on top of a low mountain range the vistas were amazing. I turned on the camcorder and think I captured the whole ride on video. Haven't recharged the battery yet to view it.

I went first since Marc always rides faster than I do, and he'd be sure to pass me. He somehow managed to pass me without seeing me and when he didn't see me at our appointed meeting place where the Skyway ended at Highway 68, he turned up 68 ... and to make a long story short for the next two hours we kept missing each other and didn't get back together until after 2.

At which point it started raining, so... by the time we headed back north to Louisville so we could spend the night across the river in Indiana and visit with my cousins, it was after 3.

After booting it up the I-75 for almost five hours, we were dog tired by the time we reached Berea Kentucky, about 40 miles south of Lexington. Decided not to ride tired.

So I missed seeing all my cousins tonight and they must be getting pretty tired of plans changing. We'd already changed the time we'd arrive twice because of weather. I hope I get to see some of them tomorrow.

Sigh. Weather is a taxing travel companion.

I wish I'd had time to do the Dragon one more time, but I'll be back. After I get lots more practice at decreasing radius turns!

Postscript: Click here to see the route we took from Maryville to Robbinsville to Tellico Plains, from the beginning of the Dragon to the end of the Cherahola Skyway.

The video I shot on the camcorder turned out to be an excellent view of the road surface for the whole of the Cherahola Skyway -- but can't see much else. Gotta work on best position for the lens...

No comments: