Wednesday, January 24, 2007

How to get to Amsterdam without leaving France?

I finally located a BMW dealer just outside of Paris, but the helpful fellow on the other end of the line (who switched to English the minute he heard my French delivered with a Texan drawl) referred me to Business-Bikes.com, one of the motorcycle rental websites Kirk Ratzel had referred me to.

The other site Kirk recommended, MotoRail is providing the best rental rate -- €69 per day ($106 CDN or $90 US), and €349 for seven days ($536 CDN, or $453 US).

But they put a large kink in my plans by telling me that their insurance won't allow me to drive a bike I rent from them anywhere but inside France. No exceptions can be made. They've been firm about that.

Unless I can convince the powers that be to move Amsterdam inside the French border, that's simply not going to work.

So, today's research is focusing on confirming which of these other rental agencies carry insurance that covers their bikes outside of France. I'll rent a bike from one of them for the Amsterdam leg of the trip. Then I'll come back and pick up a bike from MotoRail for the remainder of the time.

That's the new plan.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi liz, I was just there, and through some foot work I found a bike at Darcos.fr
I only rented for a day but put in 600 km on it.
Axel was very helpful