Sunday, January 21, 2007

A European temperature test

Having successfully tested Gerbing's heated clothing at highway speeds in subzero temperatures for short jaunts around Toronto, I've decided to give it a real test and combine some business with a little pleasure.

My friend Sherry Wasilow, with whom I've stayed in touch since she and I graduated from Concordia University's Journalism Diploma Program in 1988, is spending the winter in Dijon in France. So I've started making plans for a bike trip from Paris to Amsterdam. Want to pitch it as a winter European touring piece to a couple of motorcycle magazines, reviewing the Gerbing gear. That gives me an excuse to visit her.

So I booked a flight to Paris for Feb. 2.

That meant I'd need a passport, so I had some passport photos taken, took them and my application to my GP so she could sign them, then took both to the Canadian Passport Office in Scarbourough on Jan. 12. They said it should arrive well before Feb. 1.

Some initial research also indicated that an international driver's permit (IDP) might help speed up certain things such as rentals -- and accident reports, should there be any. So I picked one up at CAA. Cost: $15 for the IDP plus $9.50 (member price) or $12.50 (non-member price); taxes not included, for two passport-size photos for the permit.

I started planning the trip. I've always wanted to see Amsterdam, which is about 500 kilometres from Paris, which would be a nice day's drive. The plan so far is to rent a touring bike in Paris and head to Amsterdam.

I don't want to return by the same route, so on the way back to France am considering veering a little west into Germany, probably stopping in Luxembourg, where I might stop and stay the night before heading south again to meet up with Sherry in Dijon.

No comments: